Yoga Journal Pose of the Day

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

diary, part 8

20/11/08:

Fields of tef, the endemic grain used to make injera, the national staple, even more seriously so than bread is to Finns!

At the edge of the escarpments into the Abbay Gorge.

school boys

curious geological formations

a priest, perhaps a holy artifact under the cloth in the shelter; offerings happily accepted

Again, the descent into the Abbay gorge was unnerving.

Fehim and Kassahun meet more former cohorts from their own construction days.

Traffic comes to a standstill as construction work blocks the road.

A priest from a nearby church comes out to take advantage of the traffic. He will open his colourful umbrella for you to toss in a few coins as an offering.

The bridge comes into view.

The new bridge to the left; we must use the old bridge to the right. Only one car at a time is permitted to be on the old bridge, which is hardly reassuring!

The Blue Nile heading south to travel around the Goggam region before it turns west and north to enter Sudan.

looking west at the two bridges in the Abbay Gorge, the older bridge built by the Italians


Ethiopia's variation on traffic is livestock.




The Blue Nile down in the Abbay Gorge.

Some of Ethiopia's interesting flora:


I would have loved to have been able to take more photos of the interesting people along the way, each region with it's own particular style of dress and hairstyle. Some of the men quite dapper, invariably carried walking sticks or a gun across their shoulders, some obviously ex-military.

a village in Oromia

I am exhausted, so shattered that I have no energy to visit this church near the monastery of Debre Libanos. Debre Libanos dates from the 13th century, built by one of Ethiopia's most revered saints, Tekla Haimanot. Situated on the edge of a spectacular gorge, not much of the original buildings remain. This present church was built in 1961 by Heile Selassie. A cross shaped tomb near the car park is dedicated to memory of the monks and deacons of the monastery brutally massacred in 1937 during the Italian occupation of Ethiopia. I wait in the car while Kassahun visits his father's grave nearby.
I was so exhausted that I barely noticed some interesting painted rock carvings on the descent of Entoto into Addis, depicting historically significant things like the stellae of Axum. We also passed some residences and training facilities of Ethiopia's elite runners.
I am dangerous when I tired; I left my camera in Kassahun's car when he dropped me off at my hotel -- worry about that tomorrow. I managed to have some soup and a beer before retiring to my room to drop into the sleep of the dead!

No comments: