Yoga Journal Pose of the Day

Saturday, October 17, 2009

meaning


Do you ever wonder if your life has meaning? Are you here for any larger purpose, beyond the borders of your home, your family, your town, your country?


Does the idea that your life seems to be limited to scrabbling for a living, a rung on the ladder, a little status, some sort of legacy for just your own family, send you like it does me, screaming for the exit?


There has to be more, doesn't there? I mean, the idea that I got an education, entered the world of work and adulthood, merely to go on and reproduce and launch into the world some rather responsible, interesting citizens whose contribution is limited to enriching themselves and their children, frustrates me on way too many levels. I know I hope that my life has been more than that. (Let's be clear, I am very proud of my children, and I know some of my values have rubbed off on them. I am proud to say, I see their caring about the larger world in many ways!)


But I continue to struggle, to hope that in some small way, I have touched lives along the way, made the world a little better. But I want to do so much more. Don't you feel that way?


Don't you find it unacceptable that there is still so much suffering in the world, that the suffering is so unnecessary?


I have no answers. Trust me, I feel just as overwhelmed as you do. But this is what this site has been about from the very beginning, bringing my powers, such as they are, to bear on making the world a little better.


So, today I'm asking you to tell me what you plan to do today to make the world a nicer place. Maybe it's just taking the time to smile at a stranger, to really connect and just say "hello". Maybe you have a project that excites you. I invite you to comment and tell me how you are finding a way to give of yourself, your caring, your time, your commitment to the idea that we are meant to live lives that are just a bit larger than ourselves.


I believe our creativity is exactly that, a way to expand upon what is good, to stretch the boundaries of our lives so that what we are/are becoming, is truly a blessing to the world into which we have been born.

No comments: